Yesterday was my 31st birthday, and as such, it marked the deadline for my 31 Before 31 list. As ever, I took things right to the wire, and ended up watching four Hitchcock films in 36 hours.
I ended up completing last year’s film challenge on my birthday itself, and to try and avoid the sprint finish, I reduced the number this year from fifteen to twelve. It didn’t work. I still ended up watching the final film on my birthday!
- I started with Notorious on 28th December, and finished with The Birds on 12th November.
- James Stewart starred in three of the films I watched, and Tippi Hedren starred in two.
- Four of the films were from the 1940s, and four were from the 1960s.
- I only watched one (out of a total of five) films for which Hitchcock received an Best Director Oscar nomination.
Picking a favourite is hard, but if pushed, it would probably be Rope. I’m yet to write my regular blog posts on the final five on the list (I’m very behind), but I enjoyed really enjoyed them all, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed Vertigo and Psycho in the end.
I’m really glad that I managed to complete this goal, because the whole point was to remedy the fact that although I consider myself a Hitchcock fan, I hadn’t seen many of his films! My overall total is now 17 out of 53, and I’ll be keeping my list going and crossing them off as I watch them. Thankfully I don’t have to work to a deadline now!
2. Watch 12 new Hitchcock films